Where Did Everyone Go?
Chris
2011-09-01 11:11:32 UTC
Wow.

The entire East Coast of the US gets hit by Mother Nature, first
through a rare earthquake, then a hurricane creating havoc in 13
states and Canada, and no commentary here.

This past year has been the Year of the Environment Striking Back,
what with blizzards, floods, tornados, drought, dust storms, and
record-breaking heat. But no chatter here about personal experience
or the spiritual significance of it all.

I do check in here regularly, to look for familiar "voices", but see
almost nothing; can we bring this back?
Yowie
2011-09-06 01:12:18 UTC
Post by Chris
Wow.
The entire East Coast of the US gets hit by Mother Nature, first
through a rare earthquake, then a hurricane creating havoc in 13
states and Canada, and no commentary here.
This past year has been the Year of the Environment Striking Back,
what with blizzards, floods, tornados, drought, dust storms, and
record-breaking heat. But no chatter here about personal experience
or the spiritual significance of it all.
I do check in here regularly, to look for familiar "voices", but see
almost nothing; can we bring this back?
Alas, I think Usenet as a whole has 'had its day' - amd ARWM having never
been 500+ posts a day type group is unlikely to be in the last few standing.

It is possible to bring it back, but there needs to be a critical number of
people with a high interest level to keep the conversations going. I don't
know what that number is, but I know from experience of watching other
groups die its more than 5. The Usenet format has to serve the purpose
better than the next lowest form of technology, an e-mail list, and at 5
people, e-mails probably work better. Usenet also has to compete with web
forums, facebook groups, blogs, twitter, the possibly up and coming Google+
and whatever else is out there there that uses many features of the Web that
Usenet simply doesn't have.

In other words, yes its possible to bring this group back, but I am very
pessimistic that it can be.

otherwise, Ostara is fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, and there
is the usual buzz in the air. Alas, with impending dramatic job cuts at my
company (1100 jobs gone from our local economy) there is a deep feeling of
gloom as well.

Yowie
M. JL Esq.
2011-09-06 19:27:17 UTC
Yowie wrote:
.
Post by Yowie
otherwise, Ostara is fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, and there
is the usual buzz in the air. Alas, with impending dramatic job cuts at my
company (1100 jobs gone from our local economy) there is a deep feeling of
gloom as well.
Yowie
I still check this group every day but as you state.....

However over in the unmoderated group "Carrie"
<***@charter.net>" was mentioning that she tried to subscribe
& post and had no success in doing so, perhaps the mod's have their own
reasons for this, but thought i would mention it.

One of my last posts here spoke of more demanding calls on my time, that
is now over and im back to having too much free time:)
JL
Don Hilliker
2011-09-07 03:08:12 UTC
And that you have too much is a bad thing my old and trusted friend.
For me, On call 24/7 with a fixed 40 hour week, bev has been working a
mix of forced 6/14's followed by forced 4 /8's with a 15 on saturday
for the work not done during the week. Here it is almost end of
season and we have not had a weekend together since the 2nd week of
may. I check in here a few times a month (vice daily before the NY
state AG got usenet all but shut down), but have found little that my
comments would be worthy of adding to.
Post by M. JL Esq.
.
Dove
2011-09-07 09:52:18 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
 .
Post by Yowie
otherwise, Ostara is fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, and there
is the usual buzz in the air. Alas, with impending dramatic job cuts at my
company (1100 jobs gone from our local economy) there is a deep feeling of
gloom as well.
Yowie
I still check this group every day but as you state.....
However over in the unmoderated group "Carrie"
& post and had no success in doing so, perhaps the mod's have their own
reasons for this, but thought i would mention it.
One of my last posts here spoke of more demanding calls on my time, that
is now over and im back to having too much free time:)
--
JL
Damn damn damn.... sorry, wrong information! It is google groups
which you can access it through but still does *not* require

Sorry! Time for a coffee.

Dove
Dove
2011-09-07 10:06:18 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
 .
Post by Yowie
otherwise, Ostara is fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere, and there
is the usual buzz in the air. Alas, with impending dramatic job cuts at my
company (1100 jobs gone from our local economy) there is a deep feeling of
gloom as well.
Yowie
I still check this group every day but as you state.....
However over in the unmoderated group "Carrie"
& post and had no success in doing so, perhaps the mod's have their own
reasons for this, but thought i would mention it.
One of my last posts here spoke of more demanding calls on my time, that
is now over and im back to having too much free time:)
--
JL
Hiya,

I think they might be confused with google groups. In google groups
usernet. ARWM can be accessed via google news. You don't subscribe
as such just post a message which still comes through to the
moderation software the same way it would for any straight-up usernet
specific readers/software.

Hope that helps.

BB,
Dove
Dove
2011-09-07 10:18:12 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
 .
Post by Yowie
[...]
Yea...this was the wrong info - it is google groups (not news) but it
is usenet so you can't use email.

BB,
Dove
Yowie
2011-10-19 02:00:41 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
.
Post by Yowie
otherwise, Ostara is fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere,
and there is the usual buzz in the air. Alas, with impending
dramatic job cuts at my company (1100 jobs gone from our local
economy) there is a deep feeling of gloom as well.
Yowie
I still check this group every day but as you state.....
However over in the unmoderated group "Carrie"
subscribe & post and had no success in doing so, perhaps the mod's
have their own reasons for this, but thought i would mention it.
AFAIK, there is no need to 'susbcribe' before posting. Just post, and if it
meets the general requirements for ARWM (on-topic, not html, not spam, not
abusive etc) then it will be approved and appear in the group. If a person
makes enough appropriate posts that a moderator feels they are
'trustworthy', they get onto the 'white' list an no longer need hand
moderation. At least, thats how I think it works. I would suspect that even
a pretty off-topic response to a posted message will still be approved by
the mods because it encourages conversation. I'd approve it, anyway
(especially if there was snow ballistas and Bailey's involved)

Whilst I will freely admit I'm pretty slack with my moderating (although I
do try to check at least once a day to see if there's anything in the
queue), I have not see a message (on topic or otherwise) from "Carrie" with
the above address.

That doesn't however mean I read the group every day. Alas, there's no
longer any need to 'keep up', dropping in every week or so seems to be
enough, so sorry for the slow response to the question about Carrie.

Yowie
M. JL Esq.
2011-10-19 05:38:27 UTC
Post by Yowie
Post by M. JL Esq.
.
Post by Yowie
otherwise, Ostara is fast approaching in the Southern Hemisphere,
and there is the usual buzz in the air. Alas, with impending
dramatic job cuts at my company (1100 jobs gone from our local
economy) there is a deep feeling of gloom as well.
Yowie
I still check this group every day but as you state.....
However over in the unmoderated group "Carrie"
subscribe & post and had no success in doing so, perhaps the mod's
have their own reasons for this, but thought i would mention it.
AFAIK, there is no need to 'susbcribe' before posting.
One "subscribes" or whatever better term there might be, by ones news
reader, by choosing to read or 'subscribe' to a news group, however, im
pretty sure her posts appeared here, and she simply didn't see them, no
positive reinforcement? and she jumped to the conclusion she had somehow
offended. Iirc (its been a while) she was commenting on the weather
(and appropriately "wiccan" aspects of it)
Post by Yowie
Whilst I will freely admit I'm pretty slack with my moderating (although I
do try to check at least once a day to see if there's anything in the
queue), I have not see a message (on topic or otherwise) from "Carrie" with
the above address.
a couple of months months ago iirc. ah! i have it on file:)

Date: 9/9/11 9:25 PM
Subject: Re: a bit down -- attention healers
Sender: ***@charter.net

Not so much the weather as "feeling good" about oneself, or not, as the
case may be:)

Of course she was addressing David Daltons .... issues .... and he did
not respond to her so ....
Post by Yowie
That doesn't however mean I read the group every day. Alas, there's no
longer any need to 'keep up', dropping in every week or so seems to be
enough, so sorry for the slow response to the question about Carrie.
Yowie
I will drop her a note and see what happens, she didn't stick around the
unmoderated arw very long, for obvious reasons:)

As i recall she was or claimed to be an archetypal newbie to wicca and
was looking for generalized advise on sources for it.
JL
M. JL Esq.
2011-09-07 04:52:54 UTC
Post by Chris
Wow.
The entire East Coast of the US gets hit by Mother Nature, first
through a rare earthquake, then a hurricane creating havoc in 13
states and Canada, and no commentary here.
You want to take about the weather? read any good books recently?

Wonderful weather we've been having, here in the SF bay area anyway:)

Really! ... for the last 3 years or so it seems like we are the only
place in the northern hemisphere with decent year round weather:)

But we will probly slide off in to the pacific any day soon:)
Post by Chris
This past year has been the Year of the Environment Striking Back,
what with blizzards, floods, tornados, drought, dust storms, and
record-breaking heat. But no chatter here about personal experience
or the spiritual significance of it all.
Even though im old enough to remember from personal experience, there is
lots of literature and history on what are sometimes called
"generational storms" that happen every 30 years or so. Severe weather
patterns that are only some what more rare than more ordinary severe
weather.

Why should our present weather be considered any more significant than
our past weather? especially any "spiritual significance" than any
other weather.

Now if you want to talk about politics and modern political dialogue or
the lack there of.....but by one convention the weather or any good
books you might have read are more appreciated as topics of conversation
than the more contentious politics that might be adding to the ill
effects of mankind's treatment of this planet.
Post by Chris
I do check in here regularly, to look for familiar "voices", but see
almost nothing; can we bring this back?
Its always been here, but things change and mutate and evolve.....im
reminded of the term ...."Lacunae".
JL
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-22 21:10:32 UTC
To post via Google, one needs to be able to log into Google - ie have a registered approved Google account. Posts to the newsgroup once in - one can find them "in" Google (which is in a part of Google Groups menu) - is just via public reply/"post reply". I dont know if anyone writes modern OS compatible newsreader software, or if any Internet Service Providers still carry the NNTP systems and servers. Thus finding a newsreader that is OS compatible and configuring it for a random Internet server - big tech hurdle.

I used to come to discuss craft and explore ideas. I left because of attitudes and to prove my magick power over bullying.

Since (SH) Ostara'11 I've been on a couple of times to see what was happening. See if any "craft" or magic discussion worth their Salt were going on.

But I hate having to explain myself repeatedly and then getting taken to task over boring minutae by people who have no help or positive agenda in doing so. They're not trying to educate or explain/cover a position or line of thought for greater benefit - they're busy proving they're right and everyone else is an idiot. Why bother?
I finally have non-"book only", practicing, thinking craft/Wiccan/pagan/magician/alchemist/herbalists IRL. As I also now have historians, lawyers, financiers, business-people, event-creators, cooks, builders, craft&tradespeople of skill in my circle of friends also not of the "on tv"/"read a book" persuasion.
So why come back here? Especially if it has the same old problems.

Which amusingly enough is similar to what occurs on the local message board. People and admins destroying the discussions just to prove they have some power to assert themselves.

I've been told the 'craft in the UK has progressed much in the last 20years. Well the local scene is about 15-22years behind them.
How much has this group self-magicked itself into a position closer to its' HGA/Divine nature/Higher Vibrations? Given the number and nature of the wiccans present....?? again why stay or come....

======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
To go or to stay is entirely your choice. -Baird
phorbin
2011-10-23 01:57:39 UTC
http://www.eternal-september.org/
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-23 02:14:41 UTC
Indeed Baird, That was pretty much the magickal answer to online bullying.

However the comment on the table is lack of commentary and by extension, people, who are on the newsgroup.

So as someone who was here before, and momentarily returned, I comment on what I know of it; being my position/experiences. Which gives light on possibilities, but without engaging in attacks or demands; thus I have contributed to open discussion on the concept which may be causing the problem (lack of commentary etc).

Have I now explained proficiently?

Can you expand your comment into something of interest to the group or about the craft?

Perhaps as a hint, touching on relating to the tabled thread, or to what I ruminating about progress in Wicca/craft it's reflect in this NG.
Dove
2011-10-23 02:59:33 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Indeed Baird, That was pretty much the magickal answer to online bullying.
However the comment on the table is lack of commentary and by extension, people, who are on the newsgroup.
So as someone who was here before, and momentarily returned, I comment on what I know of it; being my position/experiences.  Which gives light on possibilities, but without engaging in attacks or demands; thus I have contributed to open discussion on the concept which may be causing the problem (lack of commentary etc).
Have I now explained proficiently?
Can you expand your comment into something of interest to the group or about the craft?
Perhaps as a hint, touching on relating to the tabled thread, or to what I ruminating about progress in Wicca/craft it's reflect in this NG.
Lack of people reading the newsgroup - <shrug> who knows who is
reading what?

Lack of commentary - Sometimes people are here and feel like chatting,
other times it is quiet, it ebbs and flows like most things in life. I
don't see this as a "problem". Just is. Doesn't mean people aren't
around, doesn't mean conversations regarding Wicca and Paganism aren't
welcome - on the contrary, it would be lovely to have a few more
discussions in that regard. If you want to chat, come on in, there's a
cloakroom just beside the door where you can leave your baggage, so as
to start a conversation of the kind you wish to participate in.

Blessed be,
Dove
M. JL Esq.
2011-10-23 05:31:16 UTC
Post by Dove
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
There's an old adage that the older i get the more sense it makes.

"To know, to will, to dare and to keep silent."
JL
Dove
2011-10-25 12:04:43 UTC
On Oct 23, 4:31 pm, "M. JL Esq." <***@isp.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by M. JL Esq.
There's an old adage that the older i get the more sense it makes.
"To know, to will, to dare and to keep silent."
Yea... bloody good advice sometimes.... Perhaps selective silence
though? Because if we all kept silent all the time, the "to know"
part could dwindle away...

Blessed be,
Dove
M. JL Esq.
2011-10-25 20:50:13 UTC
Post by Dove
<snip>
Post by M. JL Esq.
There's an old adage that the older i get the more sense it makes.
"To know, to will, to dare and to keep silent."
Yea... bloody good advice sometimes.... Perhaps selective silence
though? Because if we all kept silent all the time, the "to know"
part could dwindle away...
Blessed be,
Dove
Im more and more impressed with the idea in its religious or spiritual &
especially initiatory context. There are a number of examples i could
give to illustrate my point t. However my favourite has to do with
Aleister Crowley.

If i mention his name first people tend to shut down and not listen to
what i say or write about him, but if i quote him anonymously people
routinely ask for more.

But this same phenomena can extend to almost all phases of life. If i
mention i have a car no problem if i mention its "brand name" certain
assumptions are evoked. Same with food, clothing, shelter & etc. and
when we get to "Religion" and/or "Spirituality" its not enough that i am
formally and officially Omnitheistic but rather that i can legitimately
say, if asked, i am a Christian, Buddhist, Jew, Muslim etc. but
ordinarily, these days, i let it all go with a vague admittance of
deism. And not volunteer any particular details.

For that matter im contemplating a move to another area of the country
where in i will be a stranger with a chance to create or evoke an
entirely new appearance of my self and i will probly cultivate a less
radical and more mainstream, middle class social milieu, if for no other
reason than my age makes the youth culture of any place off limits for
me, as well as a tendency to more and more want to let people just think
what they think about me without any particular fervency to defend or
promote my point of view.

Any strident, in your face, spiritual radicalism i once had didn't seem
to have much effect than to pigeon holing me as a local harmless
eccentricity, and though i also don't want any sort of reputation for
authority or power i do think a bit more discretion regarding my
philosophical and cosmological ideas would probly be a good thing in the
small town or rural environment i hope to relocate to.

And on top of all that, my philosophical brilliance has left me with 6
of one and half a dozen of the other, both possibly "True" and that
simultaneously, at the same time:)

Being and nothingness, a causal, creator Deity and a random meaningless
universe coexistent as one, simultaneously:)
--
JL

.
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-28 01:50:54 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
Being and nothingness, a causal, creator Deity and a random meaningless
universe coexistent as one, simultaneously:)
Well considering it is all illusionary.
Or more correctly it is "real" and our interpretation is a bunch of a priori rules on a subjective experiential illusion of sensation.

Meaning that the one thing the universe is, is that it isnt what we each imagine it to be - let alone concensusly agree on. Or perhaps it is.

And most are searching to give value to themselves, or to find that which is important to themselves or to justify their existence. Yet the reality is that each snowflake is fleeting and unique, yet gone tomorrow.

The core universe which we call "Self", that tiniest tip of the iceberg that is Ego, vanishing in the All which we are an undeniable part of. Just as our "self" and "ego" are the tip of what we consider to be us.
phorbin
2011-10-25 13:04:05 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
Post by Dove
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
I'm sure someone must have said, "The older I get, the less sense it has
to make." or, "The older I get, the more sense I try to make."
M. JL Esq.
2011-10-25 20:50:57 UTC
Post by phorbin
Post by M. JL Esq.
Post by Dove
Post by m***@hotmail.com
[...]
All of the above.

Simultaneously:)
JL
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-24 05:31:59 UTC
" beside the door where you can leave your baggage, so as
to start a conversation of the kind you wish to participate in. "

Heh. Last group I heard say that was a bunch of 'Kin. (Otherkin & Animekin group, some 10 yrs ago. I don't think they got the irony either.)

But I think I did put in a convo kicker, but perhaps JL's right the less I bother to do, the more excellent pagan/wiccan I can consider myself to be. Effort = risk 'n all. But yep, the tag was on the end of the earlier reply if you've got some thoughts on the matter.....
Yowie
2011-10-24 06:15:20 UTC
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Indeed Baird, That was pretty much the magickal answer to online bullying.
However the comment on the table is lack of commentary and by
extension, people, who are on the newsgroup.
So as someone who was here before, and momentarily returned, I
comment on what I know of it; being my position/experiences. Which
gives light on possibilities, but without engaging in attacks or
demands; thus I have contributed to open discussion on the concept
which may be causing the problem (lack of commentary etc).
Have I now explained proficiently?
Can you expand your comment into something of interest to the group or about the craft?
Perhaps as a hint, touching on relating to the tabled thread, or to
what I ruminating about progress in Wicca/craft it's reflect in this
NG.
I may well be mis-understanding what you are trying to say by the above,
however my own thoughts on the lack of commentary here are rather circular.

In terms of Usenet, there seems to be some critical number of posters and
posts needed to continue a healthy discussion. Discussion inspires
discussion, one small comment in a post will remind another of something,
and they'll post a post about that thought etc etc.

I don't think ARWM has those sorts of numbers any more. In other words,
there's no discussion here because there's no discussion here.

And its not just ARWM but all around Usenet. Whilst those participating in
discussions on "Teh Interwebs" are growing, not diminishing, said
discussions are being held on platforms that are easy to use and more 'media
heavy' than text-only usenet can hope to be.

For my own part, my interactions tend to be on social media - on Facebook
(mainly in my groups) and Twitter. (My ID on both platforms is the same as
here if you wish to find me). But case in point, I am a co-admin of a
facebook group set up for past & present members of another Usenet group.
There is more activity on that Facebook group, because people can share
images, links, youtube clips, etc etc in 'almost real time' than there is on
the parent Usenet group now, and certainly far more active members. Most
'post' not from their PC but from their smart phones. Whilst I could
probably post to Usenet via Google Groups using my smart phone, it wouldn't
be a one-touch and I'm done job like Usenet & Facebook.

If folks want me to set up am ARWM Facebook group, I am happy to do so. It
can be a 'secret' group (ie, doesn't show up in your feed unless another
member is looking at your feed) if people are worried about being 'outed'.
But would it be worth it? Please, let me know.

Yowie
M. JL Esq.
2011-10-24 21:00:23 UTC
Post by Yowie
If folks want me to set up am ARWM Facebook group, I am happy to do so. It
can be a 'secret' group (ie, doesn't show up in your feed unless another
member is looking at your feed) if people are worried about being 'outed'.
But would it be worth it? Please, let me know.
Yowie
I hadn't mentioned it only because i was still mulling over in my mind
how to do so:)

Plus FB has the "chat" feature.

Several of my usenet groups as well as yahoo groups have gone over to FB.

But as successful and popular as it is, i don't care for it, anybody
remember "myspace"?. It all seems more impersonal to me than this type
of usenet group and then im also reminded of some bad sci-fi where
everyone's hoodooed into an electronic media that hypnotizes & enslaves
them, i was on a public bus the other day and fully 1/4 of the people on
the bus were obsessed with their cell phones to the point of being
oblivious to their surroundings, it was rather odd looking. Though on
the up side, the basically adolescents that were obsessed were not
looking for something or some one else to focus on.
JL
M. JL Esq.
2011-12-04 23:07:56 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
Post by Yowie
If folks want me to set up am ARWM Facebook group, I am happy to do
so. It can be a 'secret' group (ie, doesn't show up in your feed
unless another member is looking at your feed) if people are worried
about being 'outed'. But would it be worth it? Please, let me know.
Yowie
I hadn't mentioned it only because i was still mulling over in my mind
how to do so:)
Plus FB has the "chat" feature.
Several of my usenet groups as well as yahoo groups have gone over to FB.
I just created a "ARW" Facebook page.

Making it a "Secret" group. Only members can see it or post to it.

[which, now that i think about it...how will anybody know its even there?]

And i was primarily motivated to do so purely for the sake of the chat
feature the web page hosts.

If there are any objections or suggestions i would be happy to entertain
them and to delegate any Moderation aspects (which i forgot to, but can
add "M" to the name of the group) to present M's :)
JL
M. JL Esq.
2011-12-04 23:34:06 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
Post by M. JL Esq.
Post by Yowie
[...]
Ok its now ARWM and i guess anybody here who is already a Facebook
member can join it by letting me know here or in email that they want to
(***@isp.com). Also: ***@groups.facebook.com

Unlike Yahoo FB gives no "free samples" you cant even look at a FB group
home page without already being a member of FB.

As previously stated i always thought a more immediate "chat" feature
would be nice with this group of people:)

But i am willing to take down the site if there is any serious objection
to it, or my mentioning it here?

Oh! ....and the present image, symbol and explicatory remarks are just
for convenience only and i would be happy to alter as per consensus:)

Perhaps something more dark and brooding if not Bruegelesque:)

In place of Mrs. Premise & Mrs. Conclusion:)
JL
M. JL Esq.
2011-12-10 19:03:44 UTC
Post by M. JL Esq.
Ok its now ARWM and i guess anybody here who is already a Facebook
member can join it by letting me know here or in email that they want to
6 days and no interest? i will leave the group existent till the 15th of
December 2011 and then if no ones interested i will modify or remove it
from the FB site. Perhaps make it a pubic rather than secret site and
change the name to ARW (no M).

FWIW and FYI FB allows for the posting of images, videos, music & etc.
as well as the chat feature no one seems interested in:)
--
J (just call me Sisyphus:) L

Dove
2011-10-24 21:54:27 UTC
Post by Yowie
If folks want me to set up am ARWM Facebook group, I am happy to do so. It
can be a 'secret' group (ie, doesn't show up in your feed unless another
member is looking at your feed) if people are worried about being 'outed'.
But would it be worth it? Please, let me know.
Yowie
Yea, the same thought crossed my mind aswell, but there is a major
problem with anonymity. I for one wouldn't participate using my
current account as apart from family and some close friends I'm not
'out' and I couldn't be bothered having that conversation with a whole
chunk of FB 'friends'. In saying that, I was reviewing the FAQ the
other day and having a look on line for some new resources, and some
groups like Witchvox are on facebook. Might be a good way to network
and keep up to date with what is happening in other areas of online
communities.

Interestingly enough as an experiment I tried to create a google group
called alt.religion.wicca.moderated, and although we are technically
"Usernet", it wouldn't accept it as a name - said it already existed.

I also think there are enough people reading this group to keep it
going albeit at a gentle pace. I have a tendancy to chat less
formally, more socially, but I have also in the past thoroughly
enjoyed some of the more technical and in-depth conversations
regarding magick and Wicca/Paganism that have come up here from time
to time. I still think there is a place for a moderated newsgroup as
a discussion forum which is why i've stuck around for so long. :)

Blessed be,
Dove
Yowie
2011-10-25 21:13:11 UTC
Post by Dove
Post by Yowie
[...]
My usenet cat group shifted to Facebook. Whilst I can understand and
fully appreciate that privacy would be more important on a Wiccan group
than a cat group, the cat Facebook group is private. It doesn't show up
in searches, you have to 'apply' to join (although we haven't knocked
anyone back yet) and posts from the group cannot be seen by anyone
except members. In other words, if a Facebook friend clicks on my
profile to see what I'm up to,they won't see the cat group in my timeline.

It also proves the idea that a thread automatically falls apart if its
more than 3 deep(plenty of long conversations) although since it doesn't
'nest' the responses, it is harder to follow which reply is in response
to what in the 'comments' section.

And none of the above is me trying to convince anyone that we 'should'
or 'ought' to move to Facebook (or google+), only that I know from
personal experience that a chatty Usenetgroup can make Facebook groups work.

If either of the active mods wants to have a look (and its fine if you
don't), I'm happy to vouch for your non-troll character and grant you
membership. You'll need to 'friend' me on FB first of course. Same
e-mail as here.
Post by Dove
Interestingly enough as an experiment I tried to create a google group
called alt.religion.wicca.moderated, and although we are technically
"Usernet", it wouldn't accept it as a name - said it already existed.
I also think there are enough people reading this group to keep it
going albeit at a gentle pace. I have a tendancy to chat less
formally, more socially, but I have also in the past thoroughly
enjoyed some of the more technical and in-depth conversations
regarding magick and Wicca/Paganism that have come up here from time
to time. I still think there is a place for a moderated newsgroup as
a discussion forum which is why i've stuck around for so long. :)
I am certainly not advocating its deletion! I find the whole subject
fascinating even if I'm not strictly Wiccan (I describe myself as a
non-practicing agnostic these days), and this newsgroup the source of
many thought and spirit provoking discussions.

Yowie
Yowie
2011-10-25 23:20:52 UTC
Post by Yowie
Post by Dove
Post by Yowie
[...]
I meant 'disproves'. Oops.
Yowie
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-24 23:59:59 UTC
Well ARWM is fast approaching it's 25th birthday. So it'd be nice to see how things have come along. That's a lot of personal growth.

I did Facebook for a while. But it's all social self-assurement and no real depth. Great if you're wondering how a friend or family member is doing in foreign parts, without having to ring up each individual and actually talk to them in person. It rapidly falls apart if any "thread" is deeper than 3 people or levels.
Yahoo groups were better.

And chat was a joke. It always seems the interesting discussion just finished and logged off before you get there, or the attention span moves so quick that there's no room for questions or introspection, so it's pretty much surface prejudices (not in a bad way, more a case of everyone airing how they feel* but not listening to what is said.)

* laugh when I see 2 (or more) women doing this. They stop and talk, but it's clear that neither is listening to a word the other is saying! Two completely different half conversations, and when asked later about what the other person said they don't have a clue! Haven't seen it with guys so much. hilarious.

So what has changed around here? Lurker quotiant was always presumed high.
David Dalton
2011-10-25 00:32:34 UTC
I'm still lurking and will probably post again when I have
something close to being on topic and/or closer to Samhain.
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)
Dove
2011-10-25 11:52:43 UTC
Well ARWM is fast approaching it's 25th birthday.  So it'd be nice to see how things have come along.  That's a lot of personal growth.
<snip>

Um... ARWM isn't 25 years old - try more like 13. For myself I can
definitely say that years passing don't automatically equate to
personal growth. If I'd been flat chat studying magick for all that
time perhaps I'd be a small force of nature by now, but really, not
the case... my pockets of concentration are scattered, but I've come
to accept the cycles for what they are and as long as keep notes when
I'm on a roll everything seems to tie in together quite nicely.
Minimal regrets and no complaints.

Blessed be,
Dove
Yowie
2011-10-25 21:20:42 UTC
Post by Dove
Post by m***@hotmail.com
Well ARWM is fast approaching it's 25th birthday. So it'd be nice to see how things have come along. That's a lot of personal growth.
<snip>
Um... ARWM isn't 25 years old - try more like 13. For myself I can
definitely say that years passing don't automatically equate to
personal growth. If I'd been flat chat studying magick for all that
time perhaps I'd be a small force of nature by now, but really, not
the case... my pockets of concentration are scattered, but I've come
to accept the cycles for what they are and as long as keep notes when
I'm on a roll everything seems to tie in together quite nicely.
Minimal regrets and no complaints.
My spiritual studies (as well as any other sort of interest) seem to go
in large cycles too, around about 10 years from peak to peak. I'm
starting on the 'upward' part of the cycle again for spiritual studies.

Popped into the Buddhist temple (www.nantien.org.au/) for lunch
yesterday and discovered they have post graduate studies in Buddhism,and
that they are building a Buddhist university on the empty area of land
opposite the temple. My interest was piqued, even if I am not a
Buddhist. There's certainly enough in the Buddhist philosophy that I
agree with to make the study interesting. Work says I need a PhD, wonder
if they'd like a PhD in Buddhism? LOL

Yowie
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-27 02:59:26 UTC
Reading the Gita at the moment. Not terribly impressed so far. So he has to face his upbringing, and also his illusions of misinterpretation of that upbringing - pretty basic magickal journey stuff. Hopefully it will get better.

Also reminds me about, jumping off JL's mention of Uncle Al, the Will. So much has been said about Al, but when I look at his Autobio/hagiography much of what defines him is simply a focussed rejection of doctrine and single minded pursuit of his own Will - overcoming the false ego that the early protagonist in the 'Gita is about to engage.

Again I kick it to the crowd; Did others have similiar well define step/experience in their magickal journey?
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-27 02:52:31 UTC
I've always considered ARWM to be a offshoot of ARW
As when we put the vote in to create the moderated section it was to continue the original discussions but without the spam, flamewars, quote pyramids inherent in a non-moderated group. But in USENet universe one cant "redo" a charter like on ARW. So yes its technically true its really ARW 25th-ish birthday....
(although I suppose its really alt.magicks bithday, ARW being where all us godless heathens (hahahah) got booted - here or soc.rel.pag but it was more friendly and less uptight of the alt groups.)
David Dalton
2011-10-27 19:09:44 UTC
In article
Post by m***@hotmail.com
I've always considered ARWM to be a offshoot of ARW
As when we put the vote in to create the moderated section it was to continue
the original discussions but without the spam, flamewars, quote pyramids
inherent in a non-moderated group. But in USENet universe one cant "redo" a
charter like on ARW. So yes its technically true its really ARW 25th-ish
birthday....
(although I suppose its really alt.magicks bithday, ARW being where all us
godless heathens (hahahah) got booted - here or soc.rel.pag but it was more
friendly and less uptight of the alt groups.)
I think alt.pagan preceded alt.religion.wicca .
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-28 01:47:25 UTC
Yes it did (or were they about the same time...) as we were asked to stop messing up Joshs alt.magic
m***@hotmail.com
2011-10-27 03:03:00 UTC
As for the time factor.
I am a witch. That is to say, a being of magic. All the time, constantly, both in the moment of "now" and with stretched sense of nowness that intuition and spirit-awareness gives. I try to live with purpose, and be aware of my greater self/self-less-ness in the universe/divine.

Thus I observe the duality in every moment and thought. Each moment as it lives(creates) and dies(changes/evolves). The world changes and creates, I am part of the whole thus I get changes and create, cycles within cycles.
And from the duality - the one and none/all - I observe a thousand possibilities in any moment. The thousand are one; the one, thousands. Rising and falling, becoming or fading, cycles on cycles.
I am a witch.