Scottish moon rune
David Dalton
2012-09-17 03:56:52 UTC
Since early waxing crescent will soon be here I figured I
would post the following excerpt from my Salmon on the Thorns
web page, with minor updating edits:

The Silver Bough thumb

Once in 1996 or 1997 I thumbed at random a book on Scottish folklore
called The Silver Bough Vol. 1 by F. Marian McNeill. It came out to a
page with this poem on it:

Ri faicinn domh na gealaich uir,
Is duth domh mo shuil a thogail.
Is duth domh ma ghlun a leagail,
Is duth domh mo cheann a bhogadh,

Toir cliu dhuit fein, a re nan iul,
Gum faca mi thu a rithist,
Gum faca mi a ghealach ur,
Ailleagan iuil na slighe.

Is iomadh neach a chaidh a null
Eadar uine an da ghealaich,
Ged tha mise a' mealtainn fuinn,
A re nan re 's nam beannachd!

which translates as:

When I see the new moon,
It becomes me to life mine eye,
It becomes me to bend my knee,
It becomes me to bow my head.

Giving thee praise, thou moon of guidance,
That I have seen thee again,
That I have seen the new moon,
The lovely leader of the way.

Many a one has passed beyond
In the time between the two moons,
Though I am still enjoying earth,
Thou moon of moons and of blessings!

Now in that I think new moon refers not to the modern new moon
or dark of moon but the early waxing crescent moon or first
horn of moon. For a while I thought that significant to me
since I thought a new age would begin in early waxing moon or
I would be released from my low years in early waxing moon.
(and that could still be true since I am not yet out of the
low years). Another interpretation is that it could be about
having gone through an intense waning crescent high and now
being back to normalcy for early waxing crescent. But really
I just found it interesting and plan to research its signifance
and Scottish lunar traditions further in future and take the
thumbing as a sign I should do so. I would also like to know
who the author was and if the author was similar to me at all.

So anyway I hope that my low years, which have lasted 16.6
years so far instead of the usual 7 (of e.g. Thomas the Rhymer),
will end in this coming early waxing crescent moon,
the second horn of the bull (where the waning crescent moon
if the first horn, and dark of moon is the dark bull).
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)
Lady Azure, Baroness of the North Pole
2012-10-19 17:19:17 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Since early waxing crescent will soon be here I figured I
would post the following excerpt from my Salmon on the Thorns
The Silver Bough thumb
Once in 1996 or 1997 I thumbed at random a book on Scottish folklore
called The Silver Bough Vol. 1 by F. Marian McNeill. It came out to a
Ri faicinn domh na gealaich uir,
Is duth domh mo shuil a thogail.
Is duth domh ma ghlun a leagail,
Is duth domh mo cheann a bhogadh,
Toir cliu dhuit fein, a re nan iul,
Gum faca mi thu a rithist,
Gum faca mi a ghealach ur,
Ailleagan iuil na slighe.
Is iomadh neach a chaidh a null
Eadar uine an da ghealaich,
Ged tha mise a' mealtainn fuinn,
A re nan re 's nam beannachd!
When I see the new moon,
It becomes me to life mine eye,
For God Looks upon Me, as such can't say GOD doesn't!
Post by David Dalton
It becomes me to bend my knee,
Usually!
But Right is Right!
No Matter the Might!
GOD gave Covenant even onto the mite!
Post by David Dalton
It becomes me to bow my head.
I would but GOD told me it is impolite not to Look ya in the eye when Talking!
Post by David Dalton
Giving thee praise, thou moon of guidance,
That I have seen thee again,
That I have seen the new moon,
Just another day!
Post by David Dalton
The lovely leader of the way.
Arianhod, told ME my Name, but doesn't mean anything!
Only Crazy People "Talk to GOD"!
Post by David Dalton
Many a one has passed beyond
Went beyond the Sun when GOD gave me the teachings of Alice Bailey!
Post by David Dalton
In the time between the two moons,
Bi Frost?
Post by David Dalton
Though I am still enjoying earth,
Beasts of the Field usually do!
Just had the Biggest Cow I Ever saw, with a hand Foot Missing, another 1 maybe
1/12 Year Old Cow and a Calf walk through my back porch!
while the News talked about the "Wave of the Deep" doing a Number on the
Easterners and their Political Race!
How dare you run the Lynch Mob, over me!
Post by David Dalton
Thou moon of moons and of blessings!
Look up at Night, and all ya see is the Evidence of God!
This is the 21st Century, and Atomic Age, we live on One Atom of GOD!
"Give me a Picture of it!!!"
Any Photograph of the Universe as a Whole, will get ya but a Finger!
Why only Mahayana, makes any sense!