avatar types in paganism?
David Dalton
2012-06-21 03:15:06 UTC
Some I have identified as avatar types in paganism are
Fintan, Lleu Llaw Gyffes, Amergin, Fionn, Myrddin,
Gwion (Taliesin), Angus, Dionysus, Adonis and
the Havamal 137--144 composer.

Do you know of any other names I should add to that
list and do some library and/or web research on for
my Salmon on the Thorns web page? In particular
I don't yet have any Scottish or Breton names. Also
I would like to know the name of the skald who was
inspired to compose Havamal 137--144.
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)
David Dalton
2012-06-21 03:27:55 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Some I have identified as avatar types in paganism are
Fintan, Lleu Llaw Gyffes, Amergin, Fionn, Myrddin,
Gwion (Taliesin), Angus, Dionysus, Adonis and
the Havamal 137--144 composer.
Do you know of any other names I should add to that
list and do some library and/or web research on for
my Salmon on the Thorns web page? In particular
I don't yet have any Scottish or Breton names. Also
I would like to know the name of the skald who was
inspired to compose Havamal 137--144.
By the way, I have given up on the four components
including the popthroughs.
Yowie
2012-06-27 08:49:12 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Some I have identified as avatar types in paganism are
Fintan, Lleu Llaw Gyffes, Amergin, Fionn, Myrddin,
Gwion (Taliesin), Angus, Dionysus, Adonis and
the Havamal 137--144 composer.
Not sure what you mean by avatar types.The above list looks very
eclectic to me, although may have a common meaning to you.
Post by David Dalton
Do you know of any other names I should add to that
list and do some library and/or web research on for
my Salmon on the Thorns web page? In particular
I don't yet have any Scottish or Breton names. Also
I would like to know the name of the skald who was
inspired to compose Havamal 137--144.
What are you looking for?

You might find this Wiki article helpful as a starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities

Yowie
David Dalton
2012-06-29 03:37:31 UTC
Post by Yowie
Post by David Dalton
Some I have identified as avatar types in paganism are
Fintan, Lleu Llaw Gyffes, Amergin, Fionn, Myrddin,
Gwion (Taliesin), Angus, Dionysus, Adonis and
the Havamal 137--144 composer.
Not sure what you mean by avatar types.The above list looks very
eclectic to me, although may have a common meaning to you.
See below.
Post by Yowie
Post by David Dalton
Do you know of any other names I should add to that
list and do some library and/or web research on for
my Salmon on the Thorns web page? In particular
I don't yet have any Scottish or Breton names. Also
I would like to know the name of the skald who was
inspired to compose Havamal 137--144.
What are you looking for?
By avatar type I mean an individual who is similar
to those who have been called avatars, including
Krishna and Rama. I include Jesus, the Buddha,
Jacob, Moses and Mohammed as avatar types. But
mainly in this post I was looking for avatar types
in paganism, and I claim that those on the above
list are such, but I am interested in other names.
(Perhaps Baal and Mithra are ones as well, and I
think that Quetzalcoatl was.) They don't necessarily
have to have been deified.
Post by Yowie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deities
Thanks, I have bookmarked it for future reference.

I also call avatar types Openers of the Way. On my
Salmon on the Thorns web page (see my sig) I claim to
be an avatar type and thus I expect past avatar types
will show biographical details similar to my
mystic experiences.

Some of those details are:

1. waning crescent highs (waning horn of moon to raven new moon)
2. waxing gibbous moon trials
3. a 5.5 lunar month (162 day) separation between waxing gibbous
moon trial onsets and later waning crescent high onsets
4. a sun stare, with wings descending afterward
5. a naked thorn hill climb (or e.g. the crown of thorns)
6. a blue rose (or maybe blue lotus in some cases) vision
7. often seven years of low/wilderness/ascetic years. I think
this is usually seven but e.g. Rama spent 14 years
in the forest and my low years have lasted 16 years so far.
Early in the low years I had more waxing gibbous moon
trials until I gave up drinking 1--9 days before full moon
8. at the end of the low years probably renewed creativity
and maybe even wisdom (e.g. Fionn caught the Salmon of
Wisdom after seven years, the Buddha achieved awakening
or enlightenment after seven or eight years, Jacob
married Rachel and Leah after seven years but had to
promise to work for seven more years)
9. before the low years there were two early waxing moon
(waxing horn of moon) wobbly reality distortion periods
that weren't as bad as the waxing gibbous moon trials.
10. shaktipat (proximity induced kundalini awakening) from
a teacher type figure (for me it was a yoga teacher,
for Jesus maybe John the Baptist)
11. clear sky lightning inspiration (during waning crescent moon
or as early as last quarter moon). (see 1 above)
12. mystic spark (flying hummingbird shock) experiences
13. stigmata spots on the palms during the first in 9 above
14. attraction to bisexual by nature women
15. an eleven year (137 lunar month) sunspot cycle variation
such that the low years end, after seven years of low
years, about eleven years after the sun stare. In my
case my low years may last 18 years so my release
would be 22 (2*11) years after my sun stare. But I
hope my low years, which are now at 16 years and 5 months,
will end sooner, especially now that I have given up on
the four components and on click divination.
16. during the low years, often reliance on perineum click
divination leading to at least mild delusions at times.
By perineum click (which I once called base chakra click
since I considered the perineum to be the base chakra
but there is some debate about that) I mean a slight
contraction of the region between but not including
the anus and the genitals, coupled with a simultaneous
moving together of my upper thigh muscles.
17. what I call kundalini buzzes or sometimes shakti buzzes,
a perineum click followed immediately by a rush from
perineum to crown chakra with a component of brain buzz.
(Also this is related to my having a good orgasm when
there are radiative kundalini antenna love waves sent out,
i.e. the orgasm is more expansive than a usual buzz.)
18. signs from other species

So I generally look for at least one of the above features
when checking on past figures. However I have done very
little research into past figures since 1997 so I am interested
in other names I should check out and in any more evidence
for the ones I do list in my parallels subpage. (And I
still have to add some info I have on Rama, Jacob and Daniel.)
But it would be a start if you just told me of figures who
have had the seven years of low/delusion/toil.