solstice/super full moon
David Dalton
2013-06-12 02:43:03 UTC
The next full moon is close to the summer solstice.
The full moon will be June 23 at 9:02 a.m. NDT and
the solstice will be June 21 at 2:34 a.m. NDT.
Perhaps I will celebrate both on the night of
June 22, which is a Saturday. Or an option is to
celebrate for three days straight.

June 23 (or moonset the night of June 22) will be a
super full moon. A friend shared this photo with me:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=200549416766562&set=a.13634513652
0324.30543.136336876521150&type=1&theater

The photo has text which says:

"This year's largest
and closest `Super Moon' will occur on June 23, 2013.
This super full moon is not only the closest and largest
full moon of the year, it also presents the moon's
closest encounter with Earth in a long time."

Again that full moon is at 9:02 a.m. NDT June 23,
or 4:32 a.m. PDT June 23 in Vancouver. So the
closest visible moon to the exact time of full
moon here in St. John's will be at moonset at
the end of the night of June 22, assuming it
isn't cloudy then. I will probably view it
on my way home from the Fidlers' place (where
I often am from midnight to 4 a.m. or so on
Saturday night/Sunday morning).
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)
David Dalton
2013-06-12 03:00:17 UTC
NDT is UT-2.5 hrs